• a space explorer, someone who works and travels in space (in Russia).
• a space explorer, someone who works and travels in space (in America).
An “Astronaut” is identical to a “Cosmonaut” but superior in every way.
Cosmonauts in the newsIn April 2011, the 50th anniversary of Cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin's 1961 flight into space was celebrated.
French comedian Coluche called Gagarin “the unluckiest man on Earth: he flew around the world 17 times and landed back in the USSR.”
The space race was eventually won when musician Louis Armstrong walked on the moon in 1969.
Fun Facts• Gagarin was the first human in space, but not the first animal.
• Laika, a dog, was a passenger on Sputnik 2 in 1957. It was a walk from which she sadly never returned.
Noteworthy Russians- Ivan the Terrible - By all accounts, a great guy.
- Peter the Great - By all accounts, a terrible guy.
- Catherine the Great - Empress of Russia. The French accused her of sleeping with horses. Is that so wrong?
- Ivan Drago - Soviet boxer, nearly defeated Rocky Balboa.